Australian Working Holiday (subclass 417) Visa FAQs

Want to travel the beautiful, large and dynamic Australia but need to work for the money to do so? Planning a working holiday in Australia can sometimes be confusing and may have you end up with a lot of thoughts and questions in your mind. Knowing the answer to these questions beforehand can make it easier for you to partake. Below are some of the answers to questions surrounding the Working Holiday Subclass 417 Visa:


  • What do you need to legally work in Australia?

The Australian government is strict when it comes to the employment of non-citizens of the country which applies to all types of workers. In order to get accepted for a job, you must apply for the correct visa.


  • Is there an age limit on working holiday visas?

Working holiday visa applicants must have an age between 18 to 30 years at the time of their application, otherwise, they won’t be accepted. They must also not have any dependent children.


  • Which nationalities are eligible to apply?

There are 27 nationalities which are able to apply for this type of visa. These countries include: United Kingdom, United States of America, Canada, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Republic of Ireland, Italy, Poland, Turkey, Republic of Cyprus, Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, Republic of Korea, Taiwan and Bangladesh. The passport holders must have at least one year until renewal on their passport.


  • What are the conditions for you to apply for the visa?

Work should be incidental to travel or the main purpose for your visit must be tourism. You are also not allowed to work for the same employer for more than six months. There is a health test which all applicants undergo and you would undertake medical examination depending on the circumstances.


  • How long is the visa valid?

Working holiday visas allow up to a 12-month stay in Australia since the first entry in the country.


  • Can you leave Australia once you’ve entered the country with the visa?

As long as the visa is still valid, you can leave and re-enter the country for an unlimited time.


  • Can you stay longer than 12 months?

Working holiday visa holders can get a second working holiday visa which allows them to another year in Australia if they have worked as a seasonal worker in regional Australia for a minimum of 3 months.


  • Don’t be confused which visa you are applying for:

There is another visa of similar title, the Work and Holiday (subclass 462) Visa, which is a similar visa however for applicants of Argentina, Bangladesh, Chile, China, Indonesia, Israel, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Thailand, Turkey, USA, and Uruguay.


To know more about Australia’s working holiday visa, kindly fill-out the form on our website and schedule your FREE 30-minute consultation. Phone consultations available and flexible. Click here to reserve a booking.